I’m writing you from ‘wichcraft. It’s this nice little sandwich shop in Greenwich, and I’ve just had one of the best sandwiches of my life (I believe it’s the marinated eggplant one). I’m recovering from an hour or so under a tent at the pier. Apparently today is Manhattan’s day to get the tail end of a hurricane; today is also the day that Matthew & I set aside to explore downtown and gay town (or the vicinity of Christopher St.). What good timing. So we ended up under this tented region at the edge of the pier on the Hudson river, with this really friendly butch woman, an indie rocker and his girlfriend, and what seemed to be a gay dads’ picnic. Conversations started, kayakers passed, jokes started, and an L Word marathon was almost imminent, had it not started to rain on us.
Who kayaks during a severe thunderstorm warning, anyways? There were five people out there. Where does someone find four other consenting adults to do such a thing? Really now. It baffled me for a good 20 minutes. I was also baffled by the couple under the trees, the only trees in the vicinity, sitting on metal benches, in the middle of a thunderstorm. People these days, really.
Actually, I’m quite happy it rained. I met some pretty nice people, and the storm didn’t really, in hindsight, last too long. There was a very very light dribble afterwards which continued for the majority of our trip around downtown, which ended up deterring 80% of the normal yuppie crowd (the remaining 20% could be seen wearing garbage bag raincoats with tourist bus logos on the back).
This blog’s actually been written from many places, right now I’m on the subway, heading back up to Columbus Circle to get something from Whole Foods now that we’re on a tight budget. I did, in all honestly, have quite a large budget, but there is just so much Loomstate up here, and I just recently purchased organic, fair trade jeans at Urban Outfitters for $20, on sale from $100. Things are looking up here in my final days in New York.
Oh, and the promised clubbing update, we didn’t get in anywhere and my feet hurt terribly afterwards. We ended up in Chelsea, don’t ever go.
(First posted: 27/07/08)